New work in progress. I'm working on other things in between (that I can't show here, because they are going to be gifts to folks who may peek in here from time to time), but this one will be ongoing for a while.
A few people asked about the previous bubble quilt, so here is my disjointed attempt at explaining 'how to'.
Cut your backing squares (can be most any fabric since it will be hidden) one inch smaller than your quilt squares. On this one I am using 5" for the top squares and 4" for the backing. It is much easier to work with this size square than my previous one. (On the last one I used 4" for the top and 3" for the back.)
Take pleats in the top square. Pin on three sides.
Sew around the squares leaving an opening in the center of the fourth side for stuffing.
Stuff square, pin pleat on fourth side, sew shut.
Sew bubbles together into rows.
You will of course, then sew rows together into whatever size quilt you wish. I then backed Sadie's baby quilt with a coordinating flannel fabric. For the bubble quilt instead of 'quilting' the layers together, I hand stitched the layers together in grids of four sewing a tiny button on the back and a ribbon on the front. One of the tutorials I viewed before making mine had tied the layers together with yarn.
The flannel worked well for Sadie's quilt because (of course flannel is great for a baby blanket and) it is thick enough so you can't feel the seams from the quilt through it.
I'm sure there are many ways to do the bubble quilt, but this is what worked for me.
I'll happily answer any questions I can, and offer more pictures along the way.
Don't forget to check out my right hand sidebar to see other great projects at the places I am linking this week!
Quick to make, and great to carry an ID and/or credit card and a bit o' cash.
Great for sticking in a a pocket at fairs, festivals, and craft/yard sales!
Made with leftovers / scraps.
Also practicing making a regular wallet.
I'm still learning on these how much interfacing to use on which fabrics. This fabric is actually a bit lightweight to work very well. But at least this time I got all the pockets sewed on the right piece and going in the right direction!
I've had this done for a few weeks, and promptly forgot about it once I was done. Today I started looking for a box to put it in to wrap it for Sadie's baby shower. (I can share this as DIL has seen pictures of it already).
I actually saw several different tutorials for this on youtube, and just sort of combined them to what I thought was the easiest way to do it. By the time I got about half done, I had a pretty good system going. (That was before the rotary cutter and the new sewing machine. The next one should be easy-peasy!)
While I was out today I stopped in a couple of places and picked up a little bit of new stuff. It's really hard (and expensive) in the beginning because you don't know what to get and you just want it all!!
Anyway, here is what I got.
And a couple of containers to hopefully keep me organized.
(I need all the help I can get there!)
I've made a couple of baby sets that I'll share as soon as I give them to the mommas-to-be, lest they stumble upon here and see them beforehand.
But now I'm ready to start working on something that has no specific destination in mind, and just see where it takes me!!