Today I finished my quilt!!
It finished at 44" x 59" after washing.
(I forgot to measure before washing but it was around 46" wide because 45" backing was not quite wide enough!)
I used a half-yard bundle of Red White and Currant by Henry Glass purchased from Sisters and Quilters. (I did not use all the fabrics, and did not use the full half-yard of any of the fabrics).
Backing was purchased at Hancock Fabrics (I don't know what it is, but I labored long and hard over the decision). I took swatches of the hexies with me and pulled and put back bolt after bolt. I knew I wanted a gray color ... and I knew 45"would not be wide enough so it would need to be pieced. So I got a mottled gray print that wouldn't really show the seam where I had to piece it.
I finally finished the binding this morning. On all (uhm, both) of my previous quilts I've machine bound both the front and back and loved the results. I tried that with this one but was not hating the way it looked, so I ended up machine sewing to the front and hand sewing the back.
Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I did have one little spot on the back where there was a pucker that I didn't see until after it was quilted over. It's really minor and close to one edge and I decided I could live with it.
This is a great pattern and Polly's tutorials were very easy to follow. Cutting the first couple of fabrics was slow (for me) because I was trying to be very careful and make sure everything lined up perfectly. After I got a rhythm going it went very fast.
Polly will soon be offering this pattern in her Etsy shop. If I can do this as my third quilt, anybody can do it!
You can see progress pics on my facebook page but here are the final pics.
These were taken the moment I finished the binding. Indoors with very poor lighting.
Kid tested and approved!!
We then moved outside, where she wanted the gray side. (She seems to prefer the back of all my quilts over the front!)
But she likes the front too!
All the following pictures were made after the wash. I was sooooooo thankful those reds did not run! (I used two Shout color catchers and they were only slightly pink after the first wash, so I ran the wash again and used one color catcher that came out completely white. Yay!)
(I've edited this post to add these pics made later with a different camera that I haven't used in years! What a difference a good camera makes!)
I will be using the pattern again in the future. I think these large hexies would really look great on a queen or king sized bed.
************************Please remember to check the linky parties listed in my right-hand sidebar to see hundreds more great finishes and works in progress! Thanks so much to everyone who hosts a linky party, and to everyone who shares. You all inspire me every day!!